It has been hard to find any inspiration lately as my place of employment has kept me well occupied. To remedy this, I decided to look around the web for some photography contest/competitions. My search revealed to me that my skills where not in the same league as the real photographers out there. Sometimes it’s best to forget about the serious competitions and take a picture for the sake of taking a picture.
Recently, I stumbled upon the concept to the “photography forum.” These types of websites provide an atmosphere conducive to the creativity of photography with a space that is free from the emphasis of competition. Therein I found the monthly challenge.
One such forum that I found is called PhoGro. The theme for the first monthly challenge that I participated in was flowers. I decided to dive right in since I don’t have much experience shooting flowers. Below is a collection of five floral pictures with different types of editing and camera angles.
The first picture is pretty simple. I wanted to fill the image with red roses and present some depth of field. I do, however, find this picture difficult to look at for too long because of the amount and brightness of the red tones.
Picture number two is one of my more favorite in this series. I tried my hand at HDR toning to take a different approach with this one. I also dropped the saturation down to five percent. Some people might consider this passé, but I find it to be an easy picture to study.
Experimentation with contrasting colors was my goal with shot number three. This was also the hardest one to edit. I had to resort to using a creative filter to make this picture usable, though I do enjoy the vignetting. It also wouldn’t be a normal blog post for me if I did not construct something to make one of my shots possible. For this one, I purchased some white poster board and folded the sides inward to create a makeshift tray in which hold the rose petals.
Picture number four was the first picture that I shot in this series. I was sort of riffing with this one. Only one source of light was used, and that came from my iPhone. I snapped one shot of the flowers, then moved the light and took a second picture of the vase. These were later merged in Photoshop along with a third that is a close up of the flowers.
The final picture is a typical macro shot. For this picture I used 12 images with extension tubes and implemented focus stacking techniques. I am getting better at macro shots and plan to do a blog entry for focus stacking.
There are a couple pictures from this set that I am pretty proud of. I am often times critical of my own work, however, that can be a motivator for improvement. That being said, please feel free to comment and submit feedback. As always, the pictures from this series are posted below.